Customer Size: Large
Domain: Engineering & Construction
Solution: SharePoint, WSS 3.0, Visual Studio 2008, SQL server 2005
Our client is a multi-national Engineering & Construction contracting service provider, working across the globe facilitating world-class engineering services to its clients.
The client is a private multi-national company provides world class engineering and construction contracting services globally, required a centralized collaboration portal where their scattered employees could have access to the official document repository.
The key needs were:
Sharing documents over a safe platform, both internally and externally
Administering access to document viewing and document changing
For keeping a tab on editing conflicts
Managing document workflows starting from document production to final approvals (simultaneous log creation on each change)
Metadata integration for improved tracking
Our team gave a solution to meet employees’ business needs on a SharePoint site. It provided the ability to comply, compile and coordinate. In addition to this feature, the solution provided search based on document metadata such as author name and modified date, for enhanced information search.
At the portal created on SharePoint, the employees could share documents safely both inside and outside the organization. The end outcome was a collaborative environment that aided as a single platform for providing Business Intelligence; Collaboration; Document Management; Business Processes Automation etc for smooth organizational operations based on Microsoft Office SharePoint 2007.
The key features offered by the system were:
- A Document Management System for Storing, organizing, and locating documents
- Library for keeping documents together. The library could store Microsoft Office files, PDFs, images, videos, and text files.
- Implementation of SharePoint workflow that check documents in or out
- A Document versioning that allows users and administrators to locate changes
- Automated and Manual metadata storing facility for easier search
- The system allows the users to define security rights to SharePoint sites, libraries, and documents inside the libraries. Right assignment varies from single user; groups and Permissions levels range from read-only to full control.
- Sharing of documents over a safe platform, both inside, outside the organization
- Administering access to document viewing and document change
- Keeping a check on editing conflicts
- Managing document workflows right from document generation to final approvals (simultaneous log creation on each change)
Improved Collaboration allowing distributed employees to work together on the same documents and share them
Automated archival of versions lessened the Administration workload on routine paperwork
Comprehensive Search for quicker results
Requirements of agreement are met. Files are securely stored to meet industry instructions
A privilege based access and also change tracking for safe information access
An Active Directory execution lead to simplified IT management and less time spent on controlling security and user access
Lesser training due to SharePoint’s familiar Microsoft Office 2007 interface.
Diverse document versions ensure that data is easier to recover and less possibility of accidental loss or damage
Due to SharePoint Workflow implementation, the process has improved